Some fitness and weight loss stuff that have been useful for me
Just a list of some apps and devices that have been very useful to me as I’m well on the way to have lost 40KG and hopefully 45 and 50 since May of 2020.
- Happy Scale. I love this weight tracker. It let you define goals and milestones, have various average calculation algorithms to pick between. And it always keeps the lowest weigh-in of the day. It is a very useful tool to stay motivated a be reminded that loosing weight over the long term is a lot of ups and downs.
- FoodNoms the only good calorie tracker I have used. It is just a paid app that let you add the food you eat. No upsells on training or diet programs. For the most part it is based on you adding things manually, but it also have some integration with databases. Requires some work in the start, but after a while it gets easier. I currently don’t track calories, but in the start and at various points during my weight loss journey it have been immensely useful and a large part of why I have been able to stay with it.
- Apple Watch. For me it is very useful to get data on how fit I am, how much I move and all of that. Especially after I got more into Gentler Streak. Most fitness trackers that sync to your smart phone platform of choice can probably to most of the same.
- Gentler Streak. I find this app very interesting, and some very useful metrics on how tried I seem to be. My only complaint about it is that when I started using it I started to hit the “start workout” button on watch more diligently than in the past, and it considered it an increase in activity, even though I was the same amount of active as before and was bothering me about it. I use the metrics it give me on heart readings in a very human understandable way to guide how many times a week I go to the gym.
- Any scale that syncs to the cloud: I use this from Withings. It is okay. Not a huge fan of their app, and I’d love for it to be able to sync things to Apple’s Health app without having to launch the app and letting it sync things. Other than that I don’t have any big complaints about it. Most of the time I just step on it for a big. And later sync the weight into where I want it.